Hotels & Motels

Hotels, motels, tourist homes, and bed and breakfast lodgings are licensed and regulated as public accommodation in the State of Montana.

New Licenses

Step 1:  Complete and submit Plan Review Application and required fee to RiverStone Health.

Step 2:  Contact local agencies for building, zoning and fire code and obtain required permits.

Step 3:  Upon written approval of plans, construction/remodeling can begin.

Step 4:  Contact RiverStone Health to schedule a pre-opening inspection.

Step 5: The license fee will be collected and the license issued during the pre-opening inspection.

Plan Review Application for Public Accommodations

License Renewals

Licenses are reviewed and issued annually (January 1- December 31) by the Montana Department of Public Health and Human Services.  Current license holders will receive a renewal application in November.  Renewal payments are due by December 31 to avoid a late fee.  For questions on renewals, contact 406.444.2415.


RiverStone Health Environmental Health Services conducts annual inspections of public accommodations in Yellowstone County.  Inspections are focused on health-related issues and determine compliance with Montana Department of Public Health and Human Services Rules.


To report a complaint, call Environmental Health Services at 406.256.2770.

Other Helpful Information

The Food and Consumer Safety Section of the Montana Department of Health and Human Service website lists administrative rules, regulations, plan review forms and other information.