Sports Medicine Fellowship
The Sports Medicine Fellowship produces primary care physicians who excel in treating patients with musculoskeletal problems, along with other medical problems related to athletics, exercise and an active lifestyle. Residents gain experience in clinic, training rooms and sidelines under the supervision of primary care sports medicine physicians and orthopedic surgeons. The sports medicine fellow receives an ultrasound machine. Graduates from our program feel confident that they have developed skills to help set them apart in the realm of musculoskeletal medicine. Fellows have gone on to work in primary care, orthopedic practices and boutique injection clinics. Click here to see application and requirements.
Why Choose Us?
- Ultrasound dedicated to fellow for use in clinic, in training rooms or to take home to practice.
- Montana Family Medicine Residency has four ultrasounds including a new Venue 50 and V-scan.
- High volume ultrasound guided injection curriculum.
- Collaborative relationships between orthopedic and primary sports medicine faculty
- Unopposed sideline and training room experience, no other fellows or residents to compete with for time with athletes
- High level of autonomy and scheduling flexibility.
- Our fellows have 100% pass rate on American Board of Family Medicine Certificates of Added Qualifications exam
- Close to Red Lodge, Montana, wilderness areas, Yellowstone National Park and ski resorts.
- Opportunities to teach residents, medical students and athletic training students.
- Reasonable work-life balance and the ability to enjoy Montana.
- Fellow is team physician for all sports at Montana State University Billings (NCAA Division II) and Rocky Mountain College (NAIA athletics).
- Professional sports opportunities with Billings Mustangs, a minor league affiliate of Cincinnati Reds.
- Fellow works closely with Athletic Medicine and Performance (AMP), covering 20 area high schools, plus community and club sports organizations.
- For more information, check out AMP’s website, https://ampmontana.com/
Mass event coverage:
- State wrestling tournament typically has over 600 athletes.
- High school football games.
- Heart and Sole Run (3,000 participants. Fellow is medical director.)
- Past events included NAIA Women’s National Basketball Tournament, NCAA DII Regional Cross-Country Championship
– Opportunity for ski medicine and skiing in Big Sky, Montana, or Park City, Utah.
– Fellowship supports the fellow in completing NSCA CSCS certification.
– Ultrasound rotation in Helena, Montana, with Dr. Philip Steele, frequent instructor of ultrasound at AMSSM Annual Meeting
– Flexibility in elective rotations.
- Present at the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine, (AMSSM), with encouragement to attend the Advanced U/S course.
- Attend AMSSM Fellows Conference
- Magic City Sports Medicine Conference
- Present at annual meeting of the Montana Association of Family Physicians
Comprehensive benefits package, plus:
- Generous travel reimbursement.
- Time away for conferences.
- Continuing Medical Education.
- Living in Billings. (3b)
You can apply here.
Names to Know:
Faculty and surgeons involved with fellowship curriculum include:
Ben J. Phipps, MD, CSCS-Sports Medicine Fellowship Director and Ortho Montana physician
Kelsey Hoffman, DO, Assistant Sports Medicine Fellowship Director
James S. Elliott, MD -Ortho Montana surgeon
Steven J. Klepps, MD-Ortho Montana surgeon
Roger Bentley-Ortho Montana surgeon
Please see the Ortho Montana website for more information, https://montanabones.com/