Community Health Improvement Internship (Healthy By Design Coalition)
Department: Public Health Services
Division: Health Promotion
Service Line: Community Health Improvement
Reports To: Program Manager, Community Health Improvement Services
Commitment: Summer 2022 (May – August 2022), approximately 20 hours/week, 280 hours total, additional hours available. Internship schedule TBD in partnership with intern to mutually address internship credit and project requirements, MUST be available 1:30 – 7:00pm Thursdays
The intern will work with Community Health Improvement (CHI) staff and Healthy By Design Coalition (HBD) members to improve the health of Yellowstone County. Committed to making the healthy choice, the easy choice in our community, projects focus primarily on policies, systems, and built environment strategies. This internship will provide the student with direct experience in community health improvement work, to include the weekly Healthy By Design Gardeners’ Market and other relevant projects which will vary by week. In addition, there will be several opportunities to shadow and support other work throughout the health department as time allows.
The intern will have involvement in work focused on prevention with the Health Promotion department related to awareness and education at the population level. Areas of work may include: physical activity, nutrition, tobacco prevention, suicide prevention, and generalized chronic disease prevention. Tasks will be determined closer to internship start date based on project need and student interest and goals. This internship is designed for college students who are completing this work for course credit. Some exceptions may apply.
HBD Gardeners’ Market at South Park
The HBD Gardeners’ Market began in 2011 as a means of providing Billings residents, particularly those residing in the South Side neighborhood, a USDA designated food desert, access to affordable fresh fruits and vegetables. The intern will work with the HBD Gardeners’ Market team to facilitate a variety of activities that promote access to healthy, affordable foods; physical activity, and placemaking, with an emphasis toward senior engagement, in the South Side of Billings. The market will take place from June 9 – October 6, from 4:00 – 6:00pm at South Park each week. Tasks will include the following:
- Provide essential support to market team, vendors, and market volunteers during market operation, including set up and take down
- Design, implement, and analyze market impact and activities through customer surveys
- Provide reliable and timely information to market customers at the market information booth
- Lead implementation of special projects and events
Other Duties May Include:
- Support Health Promotion team members on other projects, which may include creative placemaking, community engagement, active transportation, food security, tobacco prevention, worksite wellness, suicide prevention, cancer prevention, and more.
- Attend internal meetings as appropriate (i.e. staff meetings, employee committees).
- Attend external meetings as interested and appropriate (i.e. coalition and workgroup meetings).