Community Health Improvement Internship (Healthy By Design Coalition)
Department: Public Health Services
Division: Health Promotion
Service Line: Community Health Improvement
Reports To: Program Manager, Community Health Improvement Services
Commitment: Summer 2020 (June – August 2020), Minimum 10 Hours/Week, 140 Hours Total
Internship schedule TBD in partnership with intern to mutually address internship credit and project requirements, MUST be available 2 – 8pm Thursdays
The intern will work with Community Health Improvement (CHI) staff and Healthy By Design Coalition (HBD) members to improve the health of Yellowstone County. Committed to making the healthy choice, the easy choice in our community, projects focus primarily on policies, systems, and built environment strategies. This internship will provide the student with direct experience in two core initiatives, the weekly Healthy By Design Gardeners’ Market and the development of a the 2020 – 2023 Community Health Improvement Plan (CHIP) for Yellowstone County. In addition, there will be several opportunities to engage in other public health and Coalition projects as time allows.
HBD Gardeners’ Market at South Park
The HBD Gardeners’ Market began in 2011 as a means of providing Billings residents, particularly those residing in the South Side neighborhood, a USDA designated food desert, access to affordable fresh fruits and vegetables. The intern will work with the HBD Gardeners’ Market team to facilitate a variety of activities that promote access to healthy, affordable foods; physical activity, and placemaking, with an emphasis toward senior engagement, in the South Side of Billings. The market will take place from June 11 – October 1, from 4:30 – 6:30pm at South Park each week. Tasks will include the following:
- Provide essential support to Coalition members and market volunteers in implementation of Power of Produce/Move at the Market activities twice monthly
- Design and implementation of senior engagement strategies, including creative placemaking
- Design, implementation, and analysis of market evaluation activities
- Provide reliable and timely information to market customers on a weekly basis at the market information booth
Community Health Improvement Plan (CHIP)
The 2020 Yellowstone County Community Health Needs Assessment (CHNA) was published in February 2020. This comprehensive assessment is sponsored by the Alliance of Billings Clinic, RiverStone Health, and St. Vincent Healthcare, and administered every three years. This spring, the HBD Coalition, will develop a CHIP for Yellowstone County. This plan will focus on policies, systems, and built environment strategies from a variety of sectors to improve health at the community level. Tasks will include the following:
- Assist in CHIP strategy sessions with community partners
- Assist in the development of communication materials and messaging related to the CHIP
- Participate in community engagement process, including the development of engagement activities, recruitment, and tabulation
- Participate in workgroups, including investigation of funding opportunities
Other Duties May Include:
- Support CHI team members on other projects, which may include creative placemaking, community engagement, active transportation, food security, and other HBD workgroup activities, etc.
- Attend internal meetings as appropriate (i.e. staff meetings, employee committees).
- Attend external meetings as interested and appropriate (i.e. coalition and workgroup meetings).